- City walls and fortress
- Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial
- Cathedrale Notre-Dame
In 963 A.D., Luxembourg was officially established with the acquisition of the Lucilinburhuc (Luxembourg Castle) by Count Siegfried of Ardennes in the treaty with St. Maximin’s Abbey of Trier. Considered the “Gibraltar of the North,” the bastions and old city walls are well-preserved and hint of a strong military power during the days of the Holy Roman Empire.
Throughout history, Luxembourg would be inhabited by the Spanish, French, Austria, and Prussia, until they were finally recognized as an independent duchy in 1868. Today, the people of Luxembourg are trilingual, speaking German, French, and Luxembourgish. Continue reading